Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The carriage held but just ourselves, and Immortality (book report)

I read Five Days in London, which examines five days in May, 1940, when England made several fateful decisions about whether or not to stay in WWII. Obviously, it examined Dunkirk and other significant events during this period of time, yet what I found most interesting was its in-depth analysis of the personalities of Winston Churchill and other members of the British war cabinet. This focus on an unconventional method (at least in my experience) of studying history made a lot of sense to me... Likewise, the small time period examined was something I had never encountered before, and yet it contributed greatly to my understanding of history.

1 comment:

  1. What perfect timing to have read this book- hopefully you can share what you have learned more fully with the class when we start talking about WWII shortly. I agree that sometimes learning about short time periods in history often make the big picture more clear.

    ReplyDelete